Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Laziness

I don't know about other pregnancy blogs, but this one includes pregnant rants and things that annoy me even more now that I'm pregnant. The number one thing is laziness. I understand having a lax day once in a while, but to be honest, even my lazy days aren't lazy. I cannot stand being lazy! There are so many things to do!

Anyway, what I really am peeved about at this moment is people who are lazy readers. They glance at a word and assume it is whatever they want it to be instead of actually READING IT. This is not a new trend. I have found this annoying for some time now. When I was a kid and I would be lazy about reading (usually aloud) my parents would correct me because ITS NOT OKAY TO BE LAZY! When I would do my math work, I would often try to guess a logical answer instead of doing the work, because I was being lazy. I clearly remember my dad telling me "Stop guessing! You're being lazy!" It's not okay to do something halfway, nor is it okay to read something halfway. If you don't learn to do it the right way, you'll always do it the wrong way.

I get LOADS of this in my line of work because people stand in front of me all day and read the menu. But few people actually read it properly. The words that are most butchered are always the words with hyphens in them. Hyphens are not that complicated folks! AND the order of your words makes all the difference. For example, at Chick-fil-A, we have a Chick-N-Strip salad. Today, a woman ordered a Strip-N-Chick salad. Say that out loud. What?? A stripping chick salad?? Lady, this is a family restaurant, we don't have strippers.

Another prime culprit is the Chargrilled anything. I can't even tell you how many variants of that word I have heard! The most common would be "Charcoal". You want a Charcoal chicken sandwich? You want your sandwich burnt until it resembles charcoal? Other options include charbroiled (you're not broiling right if its charring your food), charcoal-grilled, and just plain "charred". Oh my.

We also have a seasonal soup at CFA, the Chicken Tortilla Soup. Now folks, this is not an uncommon soup. You can buy it in cans at Walmart. You can order it at Panera or Newks, or any number of places. Also, considering we living in the south, the word "Tortilla" should be in your vocabulary. I know not everyone took Spanish in high school, but it should be common knowledge that the double L makes a y sound! But anyway, that falls under ignorance, not laziness. When we sell this soup, I am asked at least half a dozen times in a day for the "Chicken Tortellini Soup". I'm never sure if I should correct people. If they're expecting tortellinis in their soup, they will be gravely disappointed, but if they're just being lazy, I don't want to be a jerk and point it out! (Well, maybe I do, but it's not my place)

To sum it all up, sometimes I just want to smack people and tell them to stop being lazy when they read! Please, for the same of my pregnant sanity, READ the words, don't just guess at them!!

You are dismissed.

4 comments:

  1. LOL Im right there with you on that!! Thanks for the laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, my child! This is the same one who insisted the pint rhymed with hint and did not have a long I sound. Same child who pronounced architecture with a ch sound not a hard k sound. This is the same child who has kept me laughing for so many years....I can't wait to see her do the mother thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The "strip-n-chick" thing could have been a bit of dyslexia.. I do that with numbers all the time. >.<

    When I worked at chick-fil-a people would constantly ask for "char-broiled" sandwiches.. UGH!!! It doesn't say CHAR-BROILED. Mitch is really, really, really bad about not reading things properly.. it drives me bonkers!

    ReplyDelete