Thursday, August 22, 2013

The Big Bad K

Yesterday I did something terrifying...

I ate kale. 

Oh you delicious leafy green vegetable! Why was I so afraid of you??

I want to start juicing and kale is something that everyone says you MUST put in your juices. Well, I didn't want to just juice it in and ruin a whole quart of juice with a single leaf so I figured I'd better taste it first. 

As I was shopping with my sister three days ago, I noticed that kale was on sale! Being the adventurous eater I am, I decided to buy a whole stalk. It cost me one hard-earned nickel, folks.  That's right $0.05!! You might be wondering "Gee, what could you do with a single stalk of kale?"

Chips. 

Yupp! I washed my kale and tossed it in coconut oil, then ground a teensy bit of salt and pepper over them.  I baked them on my stone for a few minutes and sprinkled them with Parmesan cheese when they came out. I was nervous to taste the first one but once I did, I ate all of them and wished for more! I over did the salt a bit, next time I think I'll mix the salt into the oil before I toss the kale in. What? Next time?? YES! They were that good!

-----------------------------
Crunchy Kale Chips
2 T. Coconut oil, room temperature (ie, liquid)
1/8 t. Salt
Fresh ground pepper, to taste
2 T. Parmesan "dust" (ie, shelf stable Parmesan)
1/2 lb. kale

Wash kale and remove the leaves from the ribs. Tear leaves into "chip sized" pieces if necessary. In a medium bowl, stir salt into coconut oil. Add kale and gently toss until evenly coated with the salty oil. Place leaves on a baking sheet and grind fresh pepper over them. Bake 7 minute, then turn and bake another 7 minutes. Allow to cool and top with Parmesan cheese. Try to share. Yum!



No comments:

Post a Comment