Sunday, May 12, 2013

What I've learned from my Jo Momma

I have never been a mushy person. I remember at a young age totally refusing to call my mom "Mommy" because it seemed so wussy and prissy and basically the word just made me gag. My mom has almost always been "Mom" to me, or "Momma" when I'm feeling sweet. Mostly though, she's "Jo Momma". Yeah, from that trend about 10 years ago. I never let it die. My mom just had a birthday a week ago, her anniversary was 6 days ago, and obviously today is Mother's Day! So, naturally, a blog to celebrate my mom.

If you know my mom at all, you know she loves to teach. She homeschooled my sisters and me for our entire lives  (okay, not college..), so I think the best way to honor her is to highlight what she has taught me. (No particular order!)

Things I Learned From My Mom
  1. "May the Lord bless you and keep you and make His face shine upon you." 
  2.  The power of Prayer.
  3. How to bake bread.
  4. The benefit of "dump and pour" cooking.
  5. The enjoyment of a job well done.
  6. Your room isn't clean until it's clean under the bed and in the closet.
  7. How to encourage creativity and imagination in kids!
  8. The impact of reading aloud to your children.
  9. A clean house isn't the most important thing in the world, learning and doing and LIVING in your house is much more vital.
  10. Everyone should have a giant bookshelf that spans a whole wall of their house.
  11. If you put your mind to it, you can probably learn how to do it.
  12. After 100 times, "I forgot" is not an acceptable reason.
  13. Spanking a disobedient child is biblical.
  14. "This is going to hurt me more than it hurts you."
  15. How to plant and care for a garden.
  16. How to can food!
  17. You can't can cabbage. (lol)
  18. There is nothing sweeter than newborn baby smell.
  19. You're never too young to learn.
  20. A well loved, often read Bible is something to cherish.
  21. There is usually no reason to get bent out of shape.
  22. Blank pieces of paper are full of magic and potential.
  23. Camping is awesome!
  24. Eventually, you have to make your own decisions, regardless of others opinions.
  25. There is nothing a dear book and a sunny reading nook can't cure.
  26. Every woman should love hot tea.
  27. Every mom should know how to host a tea party!
  28. The TV is not a vital part of childhood.
  29. It's okay to pop popcorn and watch TV after your kids go to bed. (Even though it tortures your poor children who lie down at the top of the stairs to listen to whatever show you're watching and sigh longingly over the smell of butter and salt)
  30. Don't rule out the supernatural.
  31. Fields are beautiful.
  32. Every homeschooler needs a denim skirt.
  33. Support your husband.
  34. Pray for your husband too!
  35. You can't keep every stray cat that wanders on the farm.
  36.  Follow your interests.
  37. Thrift shops are cool. (No, this was not thanks to Macklemore)
  38. Strong coffee is good coffee.
  39. Sometimes, the most loving thing you can do is put an animal out of its misery.
  40. Don't try to fit in the smallest place possible.
  41. It's OKAY to wash dishes by hand!
  42. Don't blindly accept everything people tell you.
  43. "Emily, you are a diligent and radiant spirit."
Okay, baby is crying. That's the end of the post.

Mom, thanks for being diligent and teaching me so much.

1 comment:

  1. This is beautiful Emily, Thanks for reminding me how priceless our mother is <3

    ReplyDelete