Friday, July 5, 2013

Food Waste Friday: Dessert

My food waste this week:
1/3 of a pan of peanut butter dessert. I feel kinda bad about wasting this, but I would feel worse if I sat down and ate it all. So.... Lesser of two guilts. Also, 2 cups of White Chicken Chili (sans chicken). Gary doesn't like chicken in his chicken chili, so this is a super cheap no-prep dish that I always have the ingredients for. Yay! The biggest problem is that I always try to add dairy (this time it was sour cream) and it ALWAYS curdles. Not like "ew, I can't eat this" curdle, just a general "this stuff won't mix in, oh duh, because its curdled" curdle. Rats. 

Waste-O-Meter
$1.00 - peanut butter dessert
$0.25? - Soup
+____
$1.25 total waste

Clearly my best week! I'm thrilled to say I bought a head of lettuce and ate it before it went bad this week! Not just any lettuce either, hydroponic butter lettuce. I know. Amazing. I also bought a squash and I don't know what I'm going to do with it. I'm thinking slice it into chips, bread it, and fry it. Yummy!
I also have a bag of spinach and some cooked chicken that i need to use up!

Also, an update on Get Real, we did awesome! My goal was to eat all REAL good while we were at home this week and we did with the exception if one item, fresh made sushi from Harris Teeter. It went well with our hydroponic butter lettuce salad. One thing I LOVED about this challenger was eating homemade bread all week! 

My breakfast almost every morning consisted of fried eggs, buttered (homemade!) toast and homemade peach jam. (And coffee, of course..) Real food is so great!


No comments:

Post a Comment