Friday, June 14, 2013

Food Waste Friday

In order to get my food waste under control, I'm going to start posting pictures of it here for you all to see and give me a hard time about. I got this idea from my very favorite blogger "The Frugal Girl" so here goes. 
This is breast milk (I know, I hate me too), Moravian chicken pie, and formerly frozen yogurt that I made. 
This is a totally untouched bag of lettuce, a half eaten container of baby spinach, and the two peaches actual symbolize, like... 6 peaches. I already threw the others away before I decided to do this. Also, I wasted a tomato which isn't pictured. 

1 oz. breast milk - $5 (if I were buying it. No lie.)
1/4 chicken pie - $3.25
Frozen Yogurt - $1.50
Spring Mix - $2.88
1/2 container of spinach - $2.50
Peaches - $4
Tomato - $1.50
+_______________
$20.63 in the trash.

Just. This. Week.

1 comment:

  1. I feel your pain! Bagged lettuce is one of my biggies... we usually don't even get through half before it goes bad. My new solution: buy the pack of 3 Romaine hearts and chop those up for a salad. They last MUCH longer and I rarely have to throw them out. I generally try not to buy the spinach unless I am fairly certain we'll use it all (such as having company for dinner or cooking dishes that I can use it in besides salads).
    Other produce: I try not to buy more than a couple of any type of produce (apples, peaches, avocados, etc) so I don't end up tossing them. Again, the exception would be if I'm planning to make a fruit tray/salad for company and know I'll use it. I currently have a half pineapple in my fridge that will get tossed tomorrow because we couldn't eat it all. :(
    Keep a rotating supply of your breast milk. Every couple days, take the oldest and freeze it before it goes bad, keeping only the most recent. That way you still have it for later and are less likely to throw any out. At least, that's what worked for me. ;)

    ReplyDelete