Friday, June 7, 2013

Contentment


“Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. It would be wonderful if they came to us unsummoned, but particularly in lives as busy as the ones most of us lead now, that won’t happen. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live.”




Being content has never been my strong point. I'm a planner and a doer and "enjoying the moment" is often ruined by planning the next moment. I am working hard to become better at living each moment as it happens and part of that is laying down my iPhone, shutting off the computer, and getting out of the house. 

There is one place where this isn't a problem for me. 
On my parents front porch. 

So many dear memories have happened here. Few of them are specific, most are just the knowledge that we sat out here as a family and listened to the swamp at night and talked. Or that I listened toy dad read the bible aloud while we drank coffee and enjoyed the sunrise. 

Life is made up of moments, ones we have to teach ourselves to enjoy. This weekend, make a point to unplug yourself from distraction and acknowledge your moments.  

No comments:

Post a Comment