Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Food Waste Friday

I think this week was better than last week. 
This week I let a cucumber mold (okay, it's been about 3 weeks honestly...), we lost a half package of Greek yogurt (I think Gary started it and didnt finish it), about 1/4 of a bottle of orange juice, and (heartbreakingly) about 2 cups of husband-made hummus. 

$0.75 - 1/4 bottle OJ 
$1.00 - Greek yogurt
$0.50 - Cucumber 
$2.00 - hummus (that's a guess...)
+____
$4.25 - grand total of waste. Added to last week's total, that puts me at about $25 of wasted food this month. 

The orange juice separated. Two reasons: 1. I let it sit out for a day. 2. It's about 5 weeks old. Gross! The hummus (clearly) molded. I let this happen because the only thing I eat hummus with is chips. I've got to work on that! Come to think of it, that cucumber would have been really yummy with the hummus. Rats!

I focused this week on using up perishable things in my fridge and purposely planned my meals around them. We had chicken and pasta  with sautéed mushrooms and onions one day and I knew I still had half an onion sitting in the fridge, so the next day we had fajitas (and added mushrooms, which are very unfajita-ey) so that I could use up the rest of my produce! I also found an almost gone lime lurking in the fridge so I tossed that into the fajitas while they cooked to add some delicious flavor. Yum! And then I used up all my lemons on lemonade to go with the meal, but some of that is still in the fridge. I'm gonna get on it fast so I don't have to report it to you next week!

I took another anti food waste measure this week..... Bone broth!
After lunch Sunday I had a chicken carcass and some leftover snap peas. I put all of that into my crockpot, along with some vinegar, peppercorns, and a gallon of water and let it sit for over two days on low and now I have some rich delicious bone broth! 

I'm not sure if I should count the leftover cooked bones as food waste. What do you think? How did you do this week?

4 comments:

  1. When you did your bone broth, did you heat it or just depend on the vinegar to keep the bacteria at bay? I don't think I've heard of this method before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heated it in the crock pot, I let it "simmer" on low for just over two days, then strained it and bottled it. The vinegar helps the bones release their nutrients.

      Delete
  2. So sorry to hear about the home made hummus, but it sounds like you've put some great changes in place to make sure you reduce food waste this week - good luck!

    Warm wishes
    Rae - zerowasteweek.co.uk

    ReplyDelete